Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Linda by the Numbers

Last Fall, we developed a rating scale to rank the relative impact of the side effects of the Zactima chemotherapy trial (see blog October 28, 2007). A subjective evaluation of each category would provide a base for future comparisons. I ranked each side effect/symptom on a scale of 1-10 (10 is most severe, 1 is hardly noticeable). Now, 10 months later, I have again ranked each side effect/symptom according to how I feel now. Here are the results, showing changes up or down.

NAUSEA=5 (↑ 1)
FATIGUE=5 (↑ 2)
DIARRHEA=8 (↑ 1)
RASH=2 (↓ 3)
ANXIETY=4 (↑ 1)
DEPRESSION=4 (↑ 2)
EDEMA=2 (↓ 1)
SKIN SENSITIVITY=6 (extreme dryness has replaced bruising) (↑ 1)
SIGNATURE=2 (↔)

Disclaimer: These are subjective evaluations based purely on my “sense” of my status compared with a theoretical personal “norm.” I certainly wouldn’t expect “norm” to describe everyone equally. Precise category definitions exist in my head. The abbreviated definitions above are self-evident. The descriptive strength of this profile is that the subject remains the same; the weakness is that the state of mind of the subject may vary from one evaluation to the next leading to non-comparable results.

This is only the roughest of profiles meant to give me a semblance of progress or lack thereof in the course of an illness that defies definition and confounds prognosis. In my experience, the illness appears to be “custom designed” for each individual, making it difficult to compare notes with others diagnosed similarly or even with professionals having broad experience.

Until next time … yours, as ever.

Copyright 2008
www.lindalater.blogspot.com
Posted: August 5, 2008