Monday, August 25, 2008

Diagnostic Whirlwind

This blog was born to keep family and friends informed of new developments in diagnosis and treatment of this cancer. Now, almost two years later we return to look at that time to better understand the flurry of events and emotions between the first whisperings of illness and November 19, 2006, the date we started the postings.

Our family doctor reviewed my complaints in early October: diarrhea, fatigue and leg pain. The series of tests he ordered would help us, he said, eliminate possibilities and zero in on a single likelihood. The ultra sound was to investigate complaints of persistent leg pain over a long period. It came up clean, no anomalies. Next, a chest CT to check the condition of my lungs. The results of this suggested a CT of the abdomen/pelvic area. Next was an extensive array of blood analyses. After a thorough review, the doctor called me into his office three weeks later on October 26, 2006 at 4:30pm. I went alone. The first words out of his mouth: “The results of these tests indicate cancer.”

That is what I appreciate so much about this doctor. He is unfailingly direct, leaving no room for misunderstanding or misinterpretation. He showed me the CT scan which revealed a 1” diameter tumor on my pancreas and numerous shadows showing more tumors piercing the smooth grain of my liver like potholes in macadam. My reaction split at once: I set aside the impact of his words in order to clearly hear the information. I gazed at the shadows on my liver, willing them to disappear, yearning for a rewind and revision of the scene, wanting to defer acceptance just a little longer.

Next: Refining the diagnosis.

Copyright 2008
www.lindalater.blogspot.com
Posted August 25, 2008