Sunday, June 28, 2009

I Ran

The traffic was heavy at morning rush hour along Staples Mill Road past the Amtrak station. Mindful of gasoline economy and environmental pollution, we opted to walk the block and a half separating us from a caffeine boost at Dunkin’ Donuts. No crosswalks defined pedestrian safety zones for crossing at the intersection. A sidewalk offered safe passage to walkers, although scattered pebbles and random tufts of grass suggested lack of use in this auto-dependent, strip mall-saturated suburb of Richmond.

Spying a break in traffic between signals, we (unlawfully) stepped onto the six-lane highway and began to cross at a brisk walk. As we reached the midpoint, traffic began to move, devouring the gap between us.

Move out! every instinct screamed at me. Before I realized it, my mind had leapt past the assessment, judgment and decision processes, bringing me directly to action: Run!
With Michael keeping pace at my side, a brisk sprint brought me safely, with margin to spare, to the far side of this heavily traveled roadway.

Without a conscious thought, I had run for the first time in almost three years! I feel as if I have leapt a giant chasm on the way to recovery. Recently I have been subliminally aware that I was approaching a milestone: pushing myself to the next level of my treadmill workout by adding sprint intervals. Now the real life spontaneous evidence has forced me to accept that I am ready to move on without delay.

A sense of capability floods my being. I am grateful to have your company; your support has put wings on my feet and determination in my heart.

Stay well!

Copyright 2009
Lynn Chapman-Adler
www.lindalater.blogspot.com
Posted: June 28, 2009