Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sampson Syndrome

Throughout my youth, Dad-built gymnasiums appeared in our backyards shortly after each family move: trapeze, swing, slide and horizontal bar. They kept us kids at home, occupied and growing up with healthy habits. Even the neighborhood boys admired the Chapman girls’ athleticism. Enduring physical strength was the legacy for our young growing bodies.

As a result, my muscle memory still hungers for satiation. It goads me into regular, physically challenging activities. My body doesn’t feel comfortable until it has achieved a balance between activity and rest.

For this gift, I thank my father for providing and my mother for fostering an active, healthy attitude about sports. I draw on this memory daily to help me rebuild the strength I lack right now.

From the early days of this illness, strength has been a crucial indicator of health. My gauge is the Lift Own Weight (LOW) scale. This came about because, being sailors, we plan Man Overboard Recovery routines. One of them, for able persons, is to bring the boat alongside so the individual can climb aboard using a ladder. During a rehearsal ashore, I realized that I could not Lift my Own Weight to make such a climb. My LOW number was ten, scaling zero as “perfectly able” and 10 as “totally unable.” That frightened me; a patina of anxiety overlay each sailing excursion.

Now, two years later, I happily report that I have regained enough strength to lift 40% of my body weight. I have yet to figure out which combination of body parts will allow me to hoist the remaining 60% of me aboard. Ahoy to progress!

Thank you for your support of returning health.

Copyright 2008
www.lindalater.blogspot.com

Posted: September 23, 2008