Friday, February 23, 2007

New Directions

We have taken a breather and had a chance to absorb unwelcome news. During the three months of uncertainty as to appropriate treatment, we prepared for the next step by exploring options for each likely treatment outcome. We didn’t hope for this, but at least we are prepared to make an informed choice.

We are moving forward with what we believe to be the most sensible, productive and safest plan: to proceed with complementary treatments concurrently. We will initiate the oncologist-recommended chemotherapy as scheduled next week. Starting the same day, I will receive a 4-week program of in-patient care at the Issels Clinic across the border from San Diego in Mexico: www.issels.com .

This treatment program was first offered by an MD in the late 1940s in Europe and continues to be practiced at a clinic there as well as in Mexico. As science advances, new treatments have been added, including the production of an anti-cancer cell vaccine from my own blood, a method now being studied by several government agencies including the National Cancer Institute.

The Tijuana clinic is located in a hospital, a benefit for me since the current chemotherapy plan has harsh side effects at a time when my liver function is becoming increasingly stressed. I will feel very much better having emergency care available within seconds and Michael close by my side.

Meanwhile, I continue my own integrated program: prancing around the living room led by a Richard Simmons video, meditating (really works!!), eating my vegetables, thinking pure thoughts and happy to wake up to your greetings each day.


Copyright 2007