Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Crossing the Threshold: Independence

As first-born of ten I was expected to be independent.

Mother loved telling the story of how I learned to walk at the age of 8 months. One day she peeked into the nursery to see if I was still napping. She saw baby Linda, balanced upright, intensely concentrated, stepping hands-free from one side of the crib to the other. I had mastered this adult activity while no one was looking, assisting or encouraging. Fiercely and aggressively independent from the beginning!

Being a burden or bother to others has always been anathema to me, to ask for help, a sign of my incompetence and poor planning. Fortunately, those who don’t learn life’s lessons until later can learn them quickly! On Diagnosis Day, October 2006, I was alone and baldly inadequate to confront a stealth opponent that commanded the very resources essential for life.

I was back in that crib making the alternate choice. For help, I turned first to my stalwart companion of 26 years, my loving husband. He urged me to take the next step: to reach out for support and encouragement from others. The clincher was to take a step yet farther: to accept the aid of family, friends and an army of unknowns volunteering their caring and prayers for the strength to separate myself from the greedy appetite of this illness.

As we approach the first treatment benchmark, I take great comfort in feeling your presence at my side. You have been patient teachers of a most recalcitrant student who thanks you with unbounded gratitude.

Copyright 2007