Thursday, November 13, 2008

Exercise Evolution

My exercise plans evolved in halts and starts through the years starting before the fitness revolution was a gleam in Jane Fonda’s eye. After graduation ended my high school sports programs, and feeling fidgety without regular exercise, I took up jogging.

While living near San Jose, California in my mid-thirties, my friend Judy and I decided to train together to prepare for the Bay to Breakers race, a 7.46 mile (12K) cross-San Francisco route from the eastern waterfront ending at the Pacific Ocean in the west. We trained for months at a local high school track, gradually extending our distance and endurance.

The event attracted about 7,000 runners that year with thousands more lining the route to cheer us. Even though we trained on a flat track, Judy and I finished in respectable time for amateur runners facing San Francisco’s daunting landscape. While many runners walked Hayes Street Hill, I am proud to say that Judy and I held to a jogging pace throughout. It may seem a modest achievement to more accomplished runners. But then challenges are relative and this one is the longest run I have ever tackled (or hope to).

The evolution of my personal plan of exercise is apparent in scanning the titles of my collection of fitness VCRs and DVDs starting with Jane Fonda and continuing with Callanetics, Kathy Smith, Richard Simmons, QiGong, Dancing Grannies and Kripalu Yoga, each of which offers it’s own special benefits. A few are catching dust; many find themselves back in favor as I search for variety in my current exercise plan.

Stay well as faithfully as you have stayed the course with us … and keep moving!

Copyright 2008
www.lindalater.blogspot.com
Posted November 13, 2008