Friday, October 17, 2008

Better and Better

I know I’m getting better because …

… I’m driving a car again … even alone. And better yet, occasionally even with Michael kibitzing from the passenger’s seat. Very few events in my life have the significance of this freedom reclaimed. I feel like a whole person again, a fine commentary on our society’s assumption of one person = one car. I’m grateful knowing that I can get myself to my own appointments, or can go off on my own for a latte and a good read or to meet a friend for a cuppa and a good chat. The burden of knowing that my needs or wishes have been diverting Michael from activities he would rather be doing in order to cart me around has overshadowed my days, but not nearly as much as I imagine it has curtailed Michael’s planning and doing for his own life.

… I have gained weight. Partly because of side effects of a new medicine, partly because the terrible tastes in my mouth have abated. Currently I am super sensitive to pepper; eating something with pepper in it, together with the taste aberration, leaves me panting and my mouth tingling. Compared with a year ago, though, it is quite tolerable.

… I wear makeup more often, dress more carefully, trim my nails and have my hairdo shaped more frequently. I like the way I look now. Apparently others do also judging by the number of genuine compliments that accompany hugs of greeting.

… I have attended to my need for exercise and have come to enjoy my daily walks as much for the elevated heart rate as for the endorphin rush that plumps up my ego and keeps me motivated to continue regardless of weather or lassitude.

… I have been true to your faith in me through the writing of this blog and posting it regularly to keep company with each of you. Thank you for joining me on this incredible journey.

Copyright 2008
www.lindalater.blogspot.com
Posted October 17, 2008