Saturday, April 18, 2009

Belly Laugh

It’s spontaneous. It’s strong, deep and satisfying. And it caught me off guard.

Now, I can’t even remember what plucked my sense of fancy. Some silliness crept up on me, enfolded me in a bear hug and liberated my sense of whimsy. Suddenly I found myself laughing with abandon, fully experiencing the physical and psychic tickle of mirth.

Reactions moved at lightning speed, piling one on top of the other. I threw my head back, creating a clear escape route for the bursts of laughter scrambling their way up my throat to freedom; closed my eyes, the better to shut out extraneous stimuli and focus singly on reacquainting myself with the pleasure of abandonment I had almost forgotten existed.

A sense of discovery illuminated the experience. The authenticity of my laughter rang out clearly, even to my own ears. Long-estranged sensations rushed in to settle into their corner of home, welcoming and embracing the moment and each other. The comfort of self-at-home instantly reasserted itself, polishing up psychic furnishings that had long faded from my awareness of now.

As my health improves, I am reminded by contrast with two years ago how very ill I was then: more ill than I realized at the time. So, too, as I laughed, I instantly recognized how long it has been since succumbing so completely to a thoroughly satisfying belly laugh.

Norman Cousins (Anatomy of an Illness) proved again: laughter is the best medicine; I’m looking forward to more “comedic therapy” treatments.

Stay well.

Copyright 2009

Lynn Chapman-Adler
www.lindalater.blogspot.com
Posted April 18, 2009