Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Nice Boring Life

As a fifteen-year-old I dreamed of having an exciting life. I’m not sure I had a clear idea of what that entailed, but I was sure I would recognize it if I saw it. Countless exciting opportunities flung themselves across my path through life and rarely did one go by without my investigating if not actually acting on it. Curiosity urged me on to many adventures. (See http://www.flickr.com/photos/lee_guilfoyle/2739015404 for one example.)

Ultimately, over time and with a developing sense of self-preservation, I balanced unbridled curiosity with an ever-improving skill in risk analysis. There eventually came a tipping point at which the discarded opportunities began to outnumber the presenting possibilities. Life by Chance was beginning to pall. I yearned for a “nice boring life.”

It has taken me years to craft a Life by Choice rather than awaiting the capricious appearance of opportunities. Now I seek miniature wonders in the world around me. A plethora of corn and soybean fields nearby comfort me with their verdant textures fluctuating through seasonal changes. Morning walks take me past telephone wires laden with societies of song birds that, alarmed, rise in concert to flee my approach. As spring nears, we look forward to welcoming the return of nest-building ospreys and the appearance of their fledglings.

I am thankful for a rich life crammed with many diverse experiences and fascinating people eager to share their zest for life with a kindred soul. Fortunately, many are still in my life, including my beloved mate with his endless forbearance and leavening influence on my most ambitious enthusiasms. Thank all of you for being there with me over the long haul and advance thanks to those of you who have yet to appear.

Copyright 2008
www.lindalater.blogspot.com
Posted December 18, 2008