Friday, October 12, 2007

First Anniversary

October 26, 2007 marks my first anniversary as a survivor of cancer and Michael’s as a surviving caregiver. Back then, the doctors were counting my remaining days in weeks and months, chary of going out on a limb with a prognosis of as much as a year’s survival. The statistic the medical community uses to measure a successful outcome for this illness is the five-year mark without recurrence. I am not yet in remission, and I continue to conduct a vigorous daily campaign to rid myself of this evil companion.

The signs of improvement are solid, particularly in the underlying strength of my health. A recent brief spell of "normalcy" reinforced this perception. While crossing an Amtrak waiting room on our last return trip from Charleston, I suddenly became aware of myself in full stride, fueled by energy and bounce, glowing with health, propelled forward rather than dragging myself along. What a thrill to experience my former energetic self. Instantly my eyes smarted with tears of wonder and gratitude. This is cause to celebrate!

And so we are! We are piggy-backing onto our next trip to Charleston, leaving directly from the Hollings Cancer Center for the warm sun and cool mountain breezes of Puerto Rico. The yoga retreat has minimal amenities: no room telephones or TV, no bathtubs (shower only). A pool and stupendous mountain views soothe the body and spirit. In these inspiring surroundings with few distractions, we hope to reduce stress, divest ourselves of mental baggage, and free up our spirits to continue the campaign to eliminate this illness from dominating our lives.

You have made it possible. Our everlasting thanks for being with us on this journey.

Copyright 2007